My name is Sam, and I'm a senior computer science major in the Honors Program at the University of Connecticut. My concentrations are in bioinformatics and data science, and I'm minoring in Molecular and Cellular Biology. I'm currently an undergraduate researcher under Dr. Mukul Bansal in the UConn Computational Biology Lab working on reconstruction of viral transmission.
I am passionate about data science and machine learning, and more broadly about artificial intelligence. My goal is to apply these interests within the context of genetics, biology, or health care, either in research or in indsutry. Through my research and internships, I have experience collecting and analysing genetic data, performing phylogenetic inference, modeling health care data, and building software. I'm fascinated by the ways we can make data work for us and I want to not only be a part of but to build and contribute to a more intelligent future.
Outside of computer science, I actively participate in multiple music groups:
- Blue Line Brass Band, a New Orleans-style second line group
- University of Connecticut Marching Band and Drumline*
- University of Connecticut Athletic Pep Bands*
- Kappa Kappa Psi, a national service fraternity for college bandmembers
- Drumset in a number of musical theater productions
In my free time I enjoy running, rock climbing, and playing basketball and soccer.
* - indicates section leader